Although 2 days in Porto are not enough to know all the stories, gardens, buildings and features, they are enough to get a good feel about the city.
The best option to stay in, is YOURS GuestHouse, for many reasons. It´s a very well centralized guest house in the Historic Centre of Porto, therefore, nearby everything you need to visit, it’s a cosy space and it’s customized for you!
For the first day, we have a contrast of routes to propose you. Let’s begin the morning with some hustle, but we promise you that you will finish your day in a more serene way.
- We begin our route, at “Capela das Almas”, which stays at a very short and interesting walk from YOURS GuestHouse, in the main commercial street of “Baixa do Porto”, “Santa Catarina” street. The “Capela das Almas” is constituted by 15,947 tiles, from Eduardo Leite. They represent the life of San “Francisco de Assis” and Saint “Catarina”!
- Still on the same street, don’t forget to visit the “Café Majestic” opened in 1921, and considered the sixth most beautiful coffee in the World, in 2011. It was a coffee who has claimed their state with the tradition of the “café tertúlia” (social gathering), where several personalities connected to the cultural and artistic life, used to met everyday!
- Now, go meet one of the oldest bookstores in Portugal, often classified between the main bookstores in the World, and attended by JK Rowling, working as an inspiration for the Harry Potter saga. The Lello bookstore!
Take a break to lunch after this long walk. Choose YOURS Bistro, a cosy space with quality dishes and affordable prices!
- After lunch, take a short walk to “Museu Soares dos Reis”, the first public Art museum in Portugal. Founded in 1833, is located at “Palácio de Carrancas”.
- Once there, go to the “Palácio de Cristal” Gardens, where once was a building made with granite, iron and glass, from the English architect Thomas Dillen Jones in 1865. Against the population, ended up being demolished, but its name never forgotten. Here take a chance to relax and enjoy the magnificent gardens, with a huge variety of plants and trees and some animal species. Here you won’t turn your back to the amazing panoramic views over the “Douro” river. This garden was designed in the 19th century by the German architect Émille David.
Here don’t miss the opportunity to visit the “Romântico” museum, which intends to create inside environments of a wealthy house from the 19th century, approaching the beauty, the ways and customs related with the Romanticism.
- If you liked the “Palácio de Cristal” Gardens, you will certainly appreciate to know one more beautiful garden. In your way back to the Historic Centre, take a moment to know the “Virtudes” Garden and the “Virtudes” Foutain, considered National Monument. It was designed by José Marques Loureiro in 1830. We suggest that you watch the sunset from here, you won’t regret it.
For dinner, and if you want to stay close to the bar area, we suggest the “O Ernesto” restaurant, in “Rua da Picaria” street.
After a long day, come back to YOURS GuestHouse Porto, to a peaceful night’s sleep!
For the second day we suggest you to know the other side of the river, Vila Nova de Gaia!
- We begin with the “Miradouro da Serra do Pilar”, Human Heritage. Through the great terrace you can spot all the waterfront from Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia, until “Arrábida” bridge, the Historic Centre, with an emphasis to the “Sé Catedral” and “D.luís I” bridge. In the other direction you can spot the “Fontaínhas” area and the “S. João” bridge.
- Go to the Taylor’s cellars, one of the oldest houses of Porto Wine, that customize the tours in order to increase the intimacy with the customer.
Take a break to lunch, and go trough the footbridges, with views to the “Douro”river, after “Cais de Gaia”, until you get to “Afurada”. Here you can taste the freshness of freshly caught fish!
- After lunch, we recommend that during the afternoon you wake up your adventurous side! Dare to try the Cable Car in Vila Nova de Gaia. Here you can have an overall view of two different perspectives, both allied to a type of tour unforgettable. On the south bank, you will see the Porto Wine Cellars, in Vila Nova de Gaia, where we have the best that “Alto Douro Vinhateiro” region produces. On the north bank, you will be able to see the Historic Centre of Porto, classified as World Heritage by UNESCO. Learn everything here!
- Now cross the “Douro” river, with our “Douro River Taxi” and prepare yourself to watch an inspiring sunset at “Ribeira”.
- After seeing the sunset and the beautiful view over the river, go up using the “Muralha Fernandina” stairs until you get to the “Sé Catedral do Porto”. Here you wiil finish your tour the best way you could and with nice views too!
Restore your energies and get ready to dinner…
We recommend the “Arroz de Forno” restaurant in “Mouzinho da Silveira” street.
After a long day, come back to YOURS GuestHouse Porto, to a peaceful night’s sleep! We hope you have enjoyed this 2 days in Porto! See you soon!