Book now +
Archives
National Museum of Soares dos Reis

Founded in 1833, it is the first Public Art Museum in Portugal. It was intended to collect confiscated goods from the abandoned convents of Porto. Later, settled in the “Convento de Santo António” with the designation of  “Museu Portuense de Pinturas e Estampas”, and followed an innovative cultural and pedagogical program, supporting artists of the “Academia Portuguesa de Belas Artes” (Fine Arts Academy). In 1839, the exhibitions even moved to the direction of the “Academia Portuguesa das Belas Artes”, strengthening the relationship between the Museum and artistic teaching. With the “Estado Novo”, (the dictatorial portuguese political system) and with the valorization of the patrimony, the museum, acquires the status of National Museum, providing its independence, and slightly later, in 1940, and until today, settled in the Palace of “Carrancas”, celebrating this change with the exhibition “A Obra de Soares dos Reis”, an important stage in the History of the Museum. The 25 of April of 1974, (the end of the dictatorial portuguese political system) allowed the appeal to the young, to leave definitively of part the optical collector. It was then proposed, the opening of the enclosed space, to a new art, a new public. The space opening to vitality! […]

Comments: 0